Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book clubs for the bored reader

I had a great afternoon reviewing reading programme ideas by www.lauracandler.com. Below is one of her videos from You tube. You can always learn something new and find ideas to keep your classroom programme fresh for your students. Earlier this year, I had a (shall we called it a) point of difference with a colleague around reading programmes for 8-9 year olds. She was coming from the point of view of K-1 and was still expecting my older students to be given readers selected by me for daily reading, as opposed to students self-selecting with guidance, books they wanted to read. A big philosophical difference for me. Keeping in mind that this was personal mileage  material we were talking about, not material for the teacher guided comprehension strategy learning tasks.  Glad to see many 'expert' reading teachers out there agree with the premiss that when a learner wants to achieve something (in this case read a story / access information), they will be motivated to do what is necessary to achieve that goal. And - BONUS - make better progress doing so than being passengers on a teacher directed reading train. I guess what I am trying to say is that a reading programme is a multi-leveled, multi-faceted thing and its wonderful to read about so many quality ideas shared by teachers around the world.



 
That's my little rant for today :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis