Friday, April 19, 2013

Dodecahedron Team Building Fun

Hello friends,

I just realised that I hadn't posted about this great idea, while trolling through my iPhoto folders. Not my idea for sure, but saw many great examples out there used for many  purposes. Here is how I used Dodecahedrons with my kiddies at the start of the year.



We started in Jan/Feb so I know that teaching friends in the Northern hemisphere who are heading toward the end of their current year, will be looking ahead to starting new adventures with their classes in September.

Being a 12 sided figure, there is a lot of work and time that goes into these mobiles so, to cut back on that aspect, I set them as a group challenge. The best group sizes would be 3 or 4 (multiples of 12). I made 2 versions of the faces, individual and group based. I then let the groups negotiate which faces they wanted to do independently and which ones they wanted to do as a group. They did this from the master  that I printed and we tracked this on the board. That way I only printed what they needed. I also printed on the 2/pg setting to reduce the faces from A4 to A5. This made them a manageable size for mobiles.


 The gluing together was a test of team work in itself. They used glue sticks and created the 2 hemispheres first before putting the orb together.

We knotted a string several times to create a lump on the end, then threaded this through before gluing the last flap together. You can just make them out below, floating beneath the self-portraits.

Looks great when a slight breeze comes through too. It reminds us of the bonds we built at the start of the year when making them.

Now if you would like a set of my team building dodecahedron, just pop over to:
Teachers Pay Teachers
Teachers Note Book
or Help Me Learn if you are in New Zealand/Australia. 
and grab yourself a PDF copy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis