Sunday, July 26, 2015

Teacher Appraisal Blog #6 First Posts

Hello friends,

You have hopefully set up your blog, found the criteria that your school uses, organised how you want to reference/link to them, decided on a labeling system and now are ready to make a start - but where to begin?

I decided to go with the following 2-prong approach.

Firstly I spent a little time working through the criteria. If your school is like mine, someone (or everyone at a staff meeting) has created a starter list of exemplar types that could be recorded against each criteria and provide evidence of your competency.

Make some notes on your Criteria page against these. Here is a screen-shot of my Analyst Page which I have now formatted in a layout and colours that I can easily copy and paste across into my home page when writing each post.
Using GREEN, I have gone in and made some notes against a few that can develop into possible post where these pieces of evidence are elaborated on and backed up with images, video, links to Google files etc. This method certainly familiarised me with the criteria and makes it easier to reflect in my daily practise.


The next time you arrive early at a staff meeting or sitting in the car waiting for the kids, pick one and quickly post about it. Or make a set time each week to do a couple.

The second way to start is to reflect on the week you just had. What was something innovative, a learning leap made by a student, a problem you resolved, a resource you made in response to a need, how did you support a colleague, what professional learning did you participate in, what innitiatives did you start, what meetings did you attend/run/lead, and so on...

Something (or multiple things) will jump out so troll through the criteria and find the one/s that fit this evidence.

Select the Posts option on the menu (just beneath Overview).
Start a new post by clicking the pencil or the orange New Post button. This will display on your Home.



I title the posts by content, not by criteria, e.g. Grandparents Day, Measurement assessment data, or Response made to eAsTTle reading gaps.

Keeping the front of my blog open in another tab (click on the View Blog button near  the pencil to do this), I can go to the  Criteria page that has the relevant criteria on it, then copy and paste that across to the top of my post (saves retyping each time).

I create my entry beneath this - remember that you are writing for an audience so try to make it as clear as possible. Include lots of visual material (pictures say 1000 words), links etc.

Now for the labels:

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am using 2 layers for labelling - the first is the category and the level within that (competent, accomplished or expert) and the 2nd layer is the RTC number, listed beneath this category that I am referencing in my post. This way I can be sure to cover both bases and can easily retrieve posts that relate to these.



Once I have completed my post, I copy the title - in the above image this would be Analyst-Competent, and paste it into the label box to the right of my post. To open the label box, simply click on the label word and it will open up. I also paste in the RTC number to help me track these. Click done at the bottom , when finished with the labels.
Any label used once will be recorded as a pick list beneath the labels box automatically. So for future posts on that theme you will no longer need to copy and paste, simply click on the appropriate words or numbers in the pick list below and they will pop into your box.

Your posts are automatically dated so no need to worry about that.

So there you have it. Now have a go, make 2-3 posts and see how your organisation system is working.  Then go back and make any tweeks, if needed.

If you have any elements you wish to link in or embed but aren't too sure about how to do it, ask in the comments below and I will create a new post and link you in.

Good luck !

With love, as always






Thank you for visiting,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing this. i am struggling with the logistics of all this so being able to compare what you are doing is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis